Gutters tend to be the component of your roofing system that’s most often overlooked. After all, theirs is just a supporting role, and they often fade into the background. But what many homeowners don’t realize is that gutters in Syracuse, NY, are just as crucial as any other part of your roofing system. By directing the rainwater that flows down your roof’s surface away from the house, gutters keep your home dry, your foundation’s structure intact and your home’s exterior free of mold and mildew.
As with most of your home’s components, however, your gutters can develop some issues over time. The most common problem, which many homeowners are familiar with, is gutter clogging. This occurs when leaves, pine needles and other loose debris start settling inside your gutters. Clogs and blockages can affect your gutters’ performance by inhibiting drainage, causing water to back up and eventually overflow.
Here are some of the issues that may develop when your system is clogged:
Foundation problems. As mentioned above, water may spill over the sides of the gutters instead of running through them and out the downspout. Water can them find its way into your home’s foundation or along its base, forming cracks when the water freezes and thus weakening its structural integrity.
Flooded basements. Sometimes the water from overflowing gutters will run down the side of your home and on to the basement, forming pools of water which may eventually lead to basement flooding.
Damaged landscaping. During heavy rainfall, water can build up inside clogged gutters and spill over the sides, running over your landscaping and washing away the soil. It can even seriously damage plants, shrubs and flowers.
Interior water damage. Overflowing gutters sometimes lead to water entering your home. This can cause damage to your interior walls and windows, and may even cause problems underneath the flooring.
Mold growth. Mold can sometimes form on exterior walls because of water spilling over clogged gutters, but mold can develop inside the gutter system, as well. Accumulated leaves and loose debris left to molder create the perfect breeding ground for mold growth, making it more difficult for you to safely clean your gutters.
Fortunately, there are a couple of ways to deal with clogged gutters. You can, for example:
Trim overhanging tree limbs. This prevents leaves from falling inside your gutters, reducing the risk of clogging.
Clean your gutters regularly. You can either scoop out the accumulated debris or wash it out with a hose. Safety measures are crucial for this task–make sure to always wear gloves to protect your hands, as well as safety goggles or glasses to protect your eyes. If you don’t want to do the work yourself, you can always hire a professional to clean your gutters.
Invest in a gutter protection system. Gutter cleaning can only do so much–if you have a lot of trees, it will need to be done regularly to prevent congestion and water buildup. That’s why it’s a smart idea to invest in quality gutter covers in Syracuse.
What Makes Gutter Covers Worth It?
Here are a few of the many excellent reasons why a gutter protection system is an ideal investment for your home:
1. Clog-Free Performance. A gutter protection system is designed to prevent leaves, twigs, pine needles and other loose debris from building up inside your gutters. This allows water to flow smoothly through the system and out the downspout, after which it’s diverted away to a place where it can’t do any damage to your home or landscaping.
2. Reduced Costs. Gutter cleaning can get expensive in the long-run if you hire a pro for the task because it has to be done over and over. While most homes only require gutter cleaning a few times a year, the overall costs of the job can really add up. With high-quality gutter protection in Hamilton, NY, however, you can save more money because you don’t have to worry about congestion as much. Your gutters remain clean and clog-free, allowing for smoother draining performance.
3. Fewer Maintenance Requirements. By preventing clogs and other issues, a gutter protection system eliminates the need for regular cleaning and maintenance. Instead, you can spend your time on more fun activities or other home improvement projects.
4. Greater Safety. A gutter protection system helps keep you safe by eliminating the need to climb up to the roof or perch on a tall ladder to clean out your gutters, which means there’s zero risk of slipping or falling accidents that can lead to serious injuries.
5. Streamlined Design. Most gutter protection systems, especially reverse-curve ones, are elegant and sleek. They don’t look out of place because they’re designed to complement your roof line and existing gutters. There are many gutter guards in Fayetteville, NY, that are available in a wide selection of colors and finishes to better enable you to match up your home’s design elements.
6. Gutter Dam Prevention. During colder months, accumulated water inside your gutters may freeze and contribute to ice dams. This could cause your gutters to sustain damage because of the ice’s additional weight, and if overlooked may even lead to collapse. Installing gutter covers, however, can significantly reduce ice buildup. The fewer frozen areas, the less damage and the longer your gutters’ lifespan.
7. A Stronger, More Attractive Home. Since a gutter protection system maintains, and even sometimes improves, the draining performance of your gutters, you won’t have to worry as much about water damage to your home. This means both your interior and exterior walls will remain free from unsightly water streaks and stains. Basement flooding, foundation weakness and soil erosion will become a thing of the past. With gutter covers, maintaining a stronger, more attractive home is easier.
How to Choose the Best Gutter Protection For Your System
Once you’ve decided to invest in a gutter protection system, it’s time to decide on which type to install. Not all gutter covers are created equal, and it’s important to do your research and choose one that offers the best performance to ensure you get the most out of your investment. Here are some of the most popular options:
Bottle Brush. Also known as gutter brush, this option is one of the easiest and most cost-effective to install. The large, upright bristles are inserted in the gutters, allowing water to enter the system while leaving the debris on top of the brush. Bottle brush gutter covers work best when it’s only lightweight debris like leaves, because they can easily be blown away by the wind or washed away by running water.
- Foam-Filler. This gutter cover choice is made of a porous polyurethane substance. Because of their flexibility, foam-filler guards are form-fitting and easy to position inside the gutters. They can block most materials except for water, which it absorbs, while preventing debris from entering and settling inside the gutters. Foam-filler guards can also help reduce the growth of mold and other fungi in your gutters.
Screen or Mesh. These gutter guards are fitted under the roofing shingles. Made of stainless steel, the screen or fine mesh of this gutter protection system serves as a filter, preventing almost all debris, even sand, from entering your seamless gutters in Manlius, NY.
Nylon. This specific gutter cover option is designed to slip easily into your gutters without attaching to roofing shingles. Water seeps through the nylon, while leaves and loose debris are filtered out. Nylon gutter guards are also excellent in preventing snow and ice accumulation in your system.
Reverse-Curve. This type of gutter protection comes with a solid cover and follows the roof’s natural slope. Reverse-curve guards let leaves and other debris fall to the ground, while its curved lip ensures that only water flows into the gutter system. Some gutter protection manufacturers have even improved upon this reverse-curve design for better clog-free performance. Due to its elegant profile and top-notch performance, reverse-curve gutter guards are the best option available today.
Choosing a Gutter Guard Company for Your Investment
As with many home improvement projects, gutter cover installation requires a professional to ensure a safe and smooth installation process. Don’t pick just any random company to do the job, however. As you begin your search, remember these important things to look for:
1. Relevant Credentials. Your choice of gutter contractor in Dewitt, NY, should have all the necessary business licenses and insurance, including liability coverage and workers’ compensation, to be eligible to perform this kind of work in your area. Hiring a licensed and insured gutter company also protects you and your investment should anything go wrong during the project.
2. Work Experience. Be sure to work with an experienced gutter contractor. Their familiarity with and knowledge of the necessary safety practices involved in gutter cover installation reduces the risk of accidents and worker injuries. They will also work faster and more efficiently, which will help prevent costly mistakes and potential roof or gutter damage.
3. Quality Gutter Covers. The gutter company you choose should be able to offer gutter protection systems that ensure superior and long-lasting performance. After all, the overall health and service life of your gutters will rely heavily on the quality of the protection system. One of the best brands available today is Gutter Helmet®. Its gutter covers come with a patented nose-forward design that sheds leaves and other debris off your system while allowing rainwater to flow through smoothly. The ribbed surface, which increases surface tension, helps make this possible.
4. Solid Warranty. Don’t overlook warranties when investing in a gutter protection system. They should cover both material and product performance. With a strong warranty, you can add an extra layer of protection to your investment.
5. Worry-Free Installation Process. Make sure your choice of gutter company already has an established installation process. That way, you can be sure that every aspect of the job, from the initial visit and estimate to any post-installation work, runs smoothly.
Investing in a gutter protection system offers many distinct advantages, from reduced maintenance and clog-free performance to healthy returns on investment. If you choose to invest in a gutter protection system, always work with a trusted gutter cover company to ensure you get the most out of your project.
|Barry Best Seamless Gutters is your leading choice for the highest quality gutter protection systems available in Chittenango, NY and the surrounding areas. Call us today at (351) 697-5000 to schedule your consultation.|